Научный журнал “Вестник НИИ гуманитарных наук при Правительстве Республики Мордовия”
The journal “Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia”
УДК 930.1(470.345):323.23 «1945 — 1953»
Ideological Campaigns in Regional Science in 1945 — 1953 (the Case Study of the MASSR)
Ivliev S. A., Kaderova T. N.
Introduction. The problem of scientific discussions and their role in the social life of the USSR in the post-war period is one of the most controversial and ambiguous in the history of science. In this regard, works that reveal the regional specifics of this process are of particular importance. Using the example of the Mordovian ASSR, the article analyzes the influence of ideological campaigns on the development of the Soviet humanities in the post-war period.
Materials and methods. The implementation of this goal became possible due to the use of previously unpublished documents from the Scientific Archive of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia, as well as the principles of historicism and objectivity, comparative historical, problematic chronological methods.
Results and discussion. Ideological campaigns in the field of humanitarian knowledge, in particular in historical science and linguistics, were called upon to contribute in every possible way to the universalization of the socio-cultural values of the regional multi-ethnic society of Mordovia in the spirit of Soviet patriotism, to strengthen the internal unity of the Soviet state in the face of an external enemy, that is, the capitalist bloc.
Conclusion. As a result of this study, it was revealed that in the post-war period there is a tightening of the internal political course, a new round of ideological struggle begins on the ideological and political front, which sharply escalated with the beginning of the Cold War. All these changes also affected the social sciences, which continued to play the role of one of the conductors of the official ideology to the masses. Ideological campaigns substituted for a genuine scientific discussion, which was an undeniable excess. At the same time, in the Soviet humanities, they served the cause of establishing the uniform norms of the Soviet patriotic ideology, which replaced the old outdated and in need of revision ideas of the revolutionary era of 1920.
Keywords: ideological campaigns, Mordovian ASSR, post-war period, historical studies, linguistics
For citation: Ivliev SA, Kaderova TN. Ideological Campaigns in Regional Science in 1945 — 1953 (the Case Study of the MASSR). Bulletin of the Research Institute of Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2023;15(2):114—124. EDN KIZPZQ
1. Alpatov VM. The History of One Myth: Marr and Marrism. Moscow;2004. (In Russ.)
2. Bulygina TA. Social Sciences in the USSR: 1945 — 1955. Moscow;2000. (In Russ.)
3. Grishaev OV. The Role of the Meeting of Historians in 1944 in the Central Committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks in the Development of Soviet Historiography of Russian history. Scientific Bulletin of the Belgorod State University. Ser.: History. Political Science. 2013; 25(144):132—136. (In Russ.)
4. Dubrovsky AM. Power and Historical Thought in the USSR: (1930 — 1950s). Moscow;2017. (In Russ.)
5. Esakov VD. On the History of the Philosophical Discussion of 1947. Questions of Philosophy. 1993;(3):83—106. (In Russ.)
6. Esakov VD, Levina ES. Stalin’s Courts of honor: KR Case. Moscow;2005. (In Russ.).
7. Ivliev SA, Kaderova TN. Ideological Campaigns in the Mordovian ASSR in 1945 — 1953. Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2021;57(1):74—86. URL: http://www.niign.ru/nauchnie-jurnaly/vestnik-niign-1,2021-g...pdf. (In Russ.)
8. Kozhurin YuF. Stalinism is a Socialized Version of the Modernization Breakthrough. Center and Periphery. 2009;(3):12—21. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/3-2009.pdf. (In Russ.)
9. Kozhurin YuF. Civilizational Identification of the Socio-Cultural System of the Region. Extended Abstract of Dr. Sci. (Philosophy) Dissertation. Saransk;2004. (In Russ.)
10. Kozhurin YuF. Civilization: Identification of the Socio-Cultural System of the Region. Saransk;2003. (In Russ.)
11. Marr NYa. Selected Works. Moscow;1933;5. (In Russ.)
12. Merkushkin GYa. Further Tasks for the Development of Mordovian Literary Languages. Proceedings of the Research Institute at SM MASSR. 1946;5:3—5. (In Russ.)
13. Merkushkin GYa, Samarkin V. Status and Tasks of Studying the History of the Mordovian ASSR. Proceedings of the Research Institute at SM MASSR. 1946;6:3—10. (In Russ.)
14. Scientific Session on Mordovian Linguistics: Abstract Report. Saransk;1952. (In Russ.)
15. Pyzhikov AV, Danilov AA. The Birth of a Superpower: The USSR in the First Post-War Years. Moscow;2002. (In Russ.)
16. Spitsyn EYu. Autumn of the Patriarch. Soviet Power in 1945 — 1953. Moscow;2020. (In Russ.)
17. Tikhonov VV. Soviet Historical Science in the Context of Ideological Campaigns in the Mid-1940s and Early 1950s. Extended Abstract of Dr. Sci. (History) Dissertation. Moscow;2018. (In Russ.)
The article was submitted 12.01.2023; approved after reviewing 22.02.2023; accepted for publication 01.03.2023.
Information about authors:
Sergey A. Ivliev, Senior Researcher of the Division of History, Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia (3 L. Tolstogo Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), Candidate of Sciences in History, ORCID: https://orcid.org/ 0000-0002-1488-3620, email@example.com
Tatyana N. Kaderova, Senior Researcher of the Division of History, Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia (3 L. Tolstogo Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), Candidate of Sciences in History, Associate Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contribution of the authors:
Ivliev S. A. — idea, concept development, data collection, processing and analysis of the materials, writing the original version of the article;
Kaderova T. N. — data collection, processing and analysis of materials, scientific editing of the text.
Conflict of interests: The authors declare no conflict of interests.
The authors have read and approved the final version of the manuscript.