Научный журнал “Вестник НИИ гуманитарных наук при Правительстве Республики Мордовия”
The journal “Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia”
Nikiforova V. V.
Introduction. Modern Chuvash prose is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon in which a variety of artistic and stylistic forms simultaneously coexist . The study of the modern literary process in general and prose in particular is a very crucial task in literary studies. This article explores one of the aspects of modern prose defined as non-fiction, based on the description of individual genre varieties of the prose.
Materials and methods. The material for the study was the artistic works of modern Chuvash writers, namely, the novella genre. From the point of view of the stated topic, the material in Chuvash literary studies is analyzed for the first time, therefore, descriptive and structural methods are the main ones in its study. Chronological framework of the texts studied — the beginning of the XXI century.
Results and discussion. The author of the article for the first time raises the question of the need for a separate study of selected prose works with a documentary beginning within the concept of “non-fiction”.
Conclusion. The study of certain aspects of the genre function contributes to the understanding of its general characteristic features at this stage, as well as the principles of creating the artistic world of modern prose as a whole. In the future, the results obtained can be used to create monographic works on prose of the beginning of the XXI century.
Keywords: non-fiction, modern prose, XXI century, Chuvash prose, novella, genre varieties of novella, documentary novella, military novella, autobiographical novella, novella in letters
For citation: Nikiforova VV. Non-fiction in Modern Chuvash Prose (A Study Case of the Novella Genre). Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2023;15(2):178—185. EDN LNSZVQ
1. Abramov VA. Formation and Development of the Chuvash Novella. Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. (Philology) Dissertation. Cheboksary;2002. (In Russ.)
2. Arpentyeva MR. Features of Non-fiction Literature. Text in Linguistic, Historical, Philosophical Space: Collection of Scientific Works. Moscow;2019;215—220. (In Russ.)
3. Gvozdev AB. The Art of Fact. The Concept of “Creative Non-fiction”. Baltic Philological Courier. 2011;(8):241—249. (In Russ.)
4. Kazakova GM. Non-fiction in Modern Book Culture. Bulletin of the Chelyabinsk State Academy of Culture and Arts. 2016;(3):7—12. (In Russ.)
5. Macheeva AV. Revisiting Spiritual Prose as Non-fiction Literature. Facets of Cognition. 2015;(3): 82—84. (In Russ.)
6. Mestergazi EG. Artistic Literature and Reality (the Documentary Beginning in the Russian Literature of the XX Century). Extended Abstract of Dr. Sci. (Philology) Dissertation. Moscow;2008. (In Russ.)
7. Nikiforova VV. Modern Literary Process: Chuvash Intellectual Prose at the Turn of the XX — XXI Centuries. Scientific Reports of Chuvash State Institute of Humanities. 2018;(25):3—9. (In Russ.)
8. Saveleva EA. Between Literature and Journalism: Non-fiction in Foreign and Russian Literary. Bulletin of the Cherepovets State University. 2018;(2):85—91. (In Russ.)
9. Chekushkina EP. Historical Perspective and Genre Diversity of Modern Chuvash Prose. Philological Sciences. Issues of Theory and Practice. 2018;(12):266—269. (In Russ.)
The article was submitted 31.03.2023; approved after reviewing 11.04.2023; accepted for publication 17.04.2023.
Information about the author:
Vera V. Nikiforova, Senior Researcher of the Philological Branch of the Chuvash State Institute of Humanities (29/1 Moskovsky Ave., Cheboksary 428015, Russia), Candidate of Sciences in Philology, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0175-5678, firstname.lastname@example.org
Conflict of interests: the author declare no conflict of interests.
The author has read and approved the final manuscript.