Научный журнал “Вестник НИИ гуманитарных наук при Правительстве Республики Мордовия”
The journal “Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia”
Pashkin A. G.
Introduction. The deterioration of the criminal situation in the first post-war years significantly complicated the economic recovery of the country. This research of the public opinion formation issue, based on resources of the periodical press, allows us to identify the main directions of the implementation of state policy in the field of criminal crime prevention. Comparing the reflection of illegal acts on the pages of newspapers with the real composition and dynamics of the criminogenic situation, in turn, allows us to conclude about the status of the periodical press as a tool for crime prevention.
Materials and methods. The Kuibyshev regional newspaper “Volzhskaya Communa” and the Ulyanovsk regional newspaper “Ulyanovsk Pravda” were involved in this research as the main historical source. The research was carried out by a step-by-step review, with the allocation of all publications in which either the fact of the initiation of a criminal case or the fact of a court verdict was mentioned, that is, the described act was recognized as criminally punishable in the legal field. General scientific methods of formal logic, comparative method, as well as methods of statistical analysis were used in this research.
The results of the study and their discussion. The greatest density of crime occurred in the period 1946 — 1949, and the vast majority of articles and notes were devoted to official mercenary crimes and theft of agricultural products. This did not correspond to the characteristics of the dynamics of the real criminogenic situation in 1948 — 1951. The minimum number of crimes was noted, as well as the composition of criminal crime, where more than 60 % of criminally punishable acts accounted for embezzlement, but at the same time, it is fully reflected in the orientation of the state to suppress illegal actions related to state and public property.
Conclusion. The results obtained in the course of the research allowed us to conclude that newspapers covered the main directions of the party-state policy in the field of combating criminal crime, without taking into account the real state of the criminogenic situation, and therefore were a tool for crime prevention in the studied regions.
Keywords: Middle Volga region, criminal crime, press, theft
For citation: Pashkin AG. Reflection of Criminality of the Post-War Period in the Regional Periodical Press (Case Study of the Kuibyshev and Ulyanovsk Regions). Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2023;15(3):107—121. EDN KIYZLC
1. Astashkin DY. Ideological Functions of the Soviet Press in 1945 — 1953 (on the Example of the Newspaper “Novgorodskaya Pravda”). Bulletin of the Novgorod State University. 2008;(49):4—6. (In Russ.)
2. Danilov AA, Pyzhikov AV. The Birth of a Superpower: the USSR in the First Post-War Years. Moscow;2021. (In Russ.)
3. Evseeva EN. USSR in 1945 — 1953: Economy, Power and Society. New Historical Bulletin. 2002;(6):179—213. (In Russ.)
4. Ivliev SA, Kaderova TN. Ideological Campaigns in the Mordovian ASSR in 1945 — 1953. Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2021;(1):74—86. URL: http://www.niign.ru/nauchnie-jurnaly/vestnik-niign-1,2021-g...pdf (In Russ.)
5. Kolyvanov AV. The Activities of Schools, Youth Organizations, and the Press on Patriotic Education of Schoolchildren in 1945 — 1953 (Based on the Materials of the Kuibyshev Region and the Ulyanovsk Region). Abstract dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Samara;2010. (In Russ.)
6. Mogilo OG. The Activities of the Authorities to Influence Mass Consciousness in the Post-War Years 1945 — 1953 (Based on the Materials of the Penza Region). Abstract dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Penza;2006. (In Russ.)
7. Molchanov LA. Propaganda is Always Propaganda of Misconceptions and Prejudices (History of the District Newspaper “Red Banner”). Pushkin Leningrad State University Journal. 2009;(1):88—108. (In Russ.)
8. Nosik NA. Criminal Law Measures to Combat Crime in the Post-War USSR. Society and Law. 2009;(3):129—132. (In Russ.)
9. Semenov EF. Political Regime, Party Control and Censorship in the Context of Historiography of Newspaper Periodicals in the USSR in the Post-War Period (1946 — 1964). Bulletin of Novosibirsk State University. Ser.: History, Philology. 2013;12(1):71—75. (In Russ.)
10. Soviet Socialist Economy. 1917 — 1957. Moscow;1957. (In Russ.)
11. Tarasova EV. Political Socialization in the USSR: Ideological Foundations of Influence on Mass Consciousness (1945 — 1953). Abstract dis. ... Cand. of Polit. Sci. Moscow;2006. (In Russ.)
12. Uchvatov PS. Saransk of the Second Half of the 1930s — Early 1950s: Strokes to the Portrait of the City and Its Everyday Life. Center and Periphery. 2018;(1):43—55. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/centr2018-1.pdf (In Russ.)
13. Fateev AV. The Image of the Enemy in Soviet Propaganda of 1945 — 1954. Abstract. dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Moscow;1999. (In Russ.)
The article was submitted 02.02.2023; approved after reviewing 27.04.2023; accepted for publication 05.05.2023.
Information about the author:
Andrey G. Pashkin, Director of the State Archive of Contemporary History of the Ulyanovsk Region (16 A. Matrosova Str., Ulyanovsk 432063, Russia); Doctoral Student of Department of History of Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University (4 Lenin Square, Ulyanovsk 432063, Russia), Candidate of Historical Sciences, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2602-1806, email@example.com
Conflict of interests: the author declare no conflict of interests.
The author read and approved the final version of the manuscript.