Научный журнал “Вестник НИИ гуманитарных наук при Правительстве Республики Мордовия”
The journal “Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia”
Katorov A. V.
Introduction. The periodical press is increasingly considered today as a significant means of influencing the collective and individual consciousness of citizens, which is growing in the period of socio-political, economic and socio-cultural transformations. In Russia, such transformations took place especially actively in the 1990s. In this article, we seek to determine the degree of influence on the political preferences of the Mordovian citizens by the newspaper “Saranskaya Vesti” (Саранскiя вѣсти), a body of the Saransk City Council of People’s Deputies (1990 — 1997).
Materials and methods. In order to reveal the most significant factors of the mass media influence on collective consciousness, we used the materials of the newspaper “Saranskaya Vesti” (1990 — 1991), where the struggle for power was most clearly reflected. The method of system analysis and content analysis, based on the scientific and historical principles, contributed to the objective characterization of the main headings of the newspaper and the means of influencing the consciousness of readers, the impartiality of the conclusions.
Results and discussion. The main emphasis is placed on establishing the social and political orientation and focus of the newspaper “Saranskaya Vesti” on the formation of collective consciousness among readers, depending on the preferences and tasks of the publishers, as well as on disclosing the features of the presentation of published materials. To propagate democratic ideas and fight the communists in power, the newspaper’s editors used all available means: they printed excerpts from Western media; criticized the current government as “anti-people” and “corrupt”, praised democratic ideas. The sharpest works were published on the eve and during the elections, which played a positive role in the support of the inhabitants of the Republic for the candidacy of B. N. Yeltsin for the post of President of Russia and in the victory of V. D. Guslyannikov in the elections of the President of the Mordovian SSR.
Conclusion. In the 1990s, the newspaper “Saranskaya Vesti” had a serious impact on the political processes in Mordovia, supporting the new Russian government — representatives of the “Democratic Party of Russia”.
Keywords: mass media, periodical press, collective and individual consciousness, newspaper publications, ways of influencing consciousness
For citation: Katorov AV. On the Question of the Influence of the Periodical Press of Mordovia on Mass Consciousness in the Conditions of Social and Political Processes of the 1990s. Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2023;15(1):154—163. EDN JTHJRQ
1. Verteshin AI. Regional Journalism: Peculiarities of Interaction with Local Authorities. Administrative Consulting. 2006;(2):197—203. (In Russ.)
2. Gavrilov AR. The Role of Political Media Influences in the Formation of the Political Culture of Young People. Meždunarodnyj Naučno-Issledovatel’skij Žurnal (International Research Journal). 2016;(10);1:125—128. (In Russ.)
3. Zadorin I, Burova Y, Syutkina A. Mass Media and Mass Political Consciousness: Mutual Influence and Interdependence. Russian Society: the Formation of Democratic Values. Moscow;1999:175—197. (In Russ.)
4. Katorov AV. On Means and Forms of Media Influence on Public Consciousness. Bulletin of scientific conferences. 2022;(9-1):53—56. URL: https://ukonf.com/doc/cn.2022.09.01.pdf (In Russ.)
5. Konichenko ZhD. Socio-Political Life of Mordovia in the First Half of the 1990s. Abstract of dis. … Cand. of Hist. Sci. Saransk;2004. (In Russ.)
6. Maresiev VV. The Press of Mordovia in the Beginning of XXI Century. Media of the Republic of Mordovia: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow. Saransk;2007:4—6. (In Russ.)
7. Markarian VР. The Influence of Mass Communication Media on the Electoral Behavior of Citizens in Modern Russia. Dis. … Cand. of Polit. Sci. Мoscow;2006. (In Russ.)
8. Muravyev DN. The Press in the Processes of Perestroika (1985 — 1991). Science and Modernity. 2010;(1—1):134—138. (In Russ.)
9. Sokolova TL. Influence of Periodicals on Social and Political Life of the European North of Russia in 1985 — 1993 (On the Materials of the Arkhangelsk and Vologda Regions. Abstract of the dis. … Cand. of Hist. Sci. Ivanovo;2009. (In Russ.)
10. Media of the Republic of Mordovia: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow. Saransk;2007. (In Russ.)
Information about the author:
Alexander V. Katorov, postgraduate student of the History Department of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia (3 L. Tolstoy Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Conflict of interests: the author declare no conflict of interests.
The authors read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 16.11.2022; approved after reviewing 24.12.2022; accepted for publication 30.12.2022.